1. The man expands the Way, the Way won’t expand the man.
2. Learn as if you constantly feel a lack of your knowledge, and as if you are constantly afraid to lose your knowledge.
3. I wouldn’t know what to do with someone whose word cannot be trusted.
How would you drive a wagon without a yoke or a chariot without a crossbar?
4. A noble husband does not expect deception, but when he is deceived, he first notices it.
5. The soul of the nobleman is serene. A lowly man is always concerned.
6. Whoever learns without thinking is misled. Whoever reflects while unwilling to learn will find himself in difficulty.
7. Acquire new knowledge whilst thinking over the old, and you may become a teacher of others.
8. A calamity came - begotten by man, happiness came - reared by man.
9. Sending people to war uneducated is to betray them.
10. A noble husband is not an instrument.