18 сентября 1725 года в Летнем саду пустили фонтаны

Tsar Peter loved fountains very much. Without them, his gardens and palaces could not claim Versailles's fame. So imagining Peter’s favorite garden opposite the Peter and Paul Fortress without fountains is like imagining the modern Summer Garden without Veldten’s miraculous fence. And rightly so. The Summer Garden had more than twenty fountains. But bad luck: The Bezymyanny Yerik renamed the Fontanka to that end offered little water. The engineers tried to attach a steam engine and Peter drew sketches of different water devices but nothing helped. At that point, Peter ordered to dig a canal from the Ligovka and build an aqueduct across the Fontanka. It’s a pity that the reformist tsar, the eternal worker on the throne, did not live to see it — on 18 September 1725, N.S., the streams of the fountains shot upwards in triumph. But they did not last long. They were reduced to rubble before the times of Onegin who, as is known, the French family tutor took to the Summer Garden for a walk. The fountains were wiped out from the world for good in the 1777 earthquake and flood. There was only Fontanka left – a memorial to those fountains both in the Russian language and in Saint Petersburg landscape.