In 1896, during the Pan-Russian Exhibition of Arts and Industries in Nizhny Novgorod, the Moscow City Duma presented several pavilions with the city’s achievements. Those pavilions gave rise to a museum, the Museum of Moscow Urban Economy. Since 1913, it was directed by Piotr Vasilievich Sytin, historian and regional ethnographer. In the course of the 20th century, the museum traveled around various towers: the Krestovskaya and the famous Sukhareva tower, and changed its names several times: it was called the Moscow Communal Museum and the Museum of History and Reconstruction of Moscow.
Today, it is an entire museum association: besides the Museum of Moscow itself, located in the church of St. John the Evangelist under the Elm, it includes the Archaeology Museum, the Museum of Mansion Culture and several others. It’s the whole history of Moscow, no more and no less.