There existed a crossing in this place before, only the bridge was not permanent – it was a boat or pontoon bridge. As the bicentennial anniversary of St. Petersburg loomed, the authorities decided to raise the image of the backward Petrograd Side and to erect a bridge in the best traditions of European capitals. The City Duma announced an international contest that was won by the legendary builder of the Paris tower Alexandre Gustave Eiffel. But his design was found too frivolous and the contract was awarded to another French firm, Batignolles. The longest bridge in St. Petersburg, linking with the Field of Mars and the Trinity Square on the Petersburg side, was opened with a salute and a procession of the Cross. The Emperor personally pressed a button and the bridge was solemnly raised.
On May 29, 1903, the Trinity Bridge across Neva was opened