1. No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.
2. People think they are thinking while they only rearrange their prejudices.
3. No one has ever achieved greatness through imitation.
4. Prejudice has no reasonable basis and thus cannot be refuted by reasonable arguments.
5. An example is always stronger than a sermon.
6. An ill man should make a lot of effort in order not to be a scoundrel.
7. Round figures always lie.
8. If you are writing for the second time on the same subject, you will contradict yourself.
9. To keep your secret is wisdom, but to expect others to keep it is folly.
10. Everyone is an idler – or hopes to become one.