1. Man is a sensitive, perceptive, reasonable and judging creature that seeks self-preservation and happiness.
2. It’s not enough to be rich to be happy, you still have to be able to use your wealth.
3. To say that moral ideals are innate or appear to be the result of an instinct is like claiming that a person is able to read without yet knowing the letters of the alphabet.
4. You can’t live happily if you tremble with fear all the time.
5. If the ignorance of nature gave birth to such a variety of gods, the knowledge of this nature is calculated to destroy them.
6. When it comes to religion, people can be called adult children.
7. Genius is the vision that encompasses all points of a vast horizon with a single glance.
8. Conscience is our inner judge, an unmistakable testimony to the extent to which our actions deserve the respect or censure of our neighbors.
9. In order to comprehend the true foundations of morality, people need neither theology nor revelations nor gods; simple common sense is enough.
10. Even the happiest wars do not lead to peace.