1. Obedience to unfair orders is a crime.
2. He who excels as a second-stage performer will often make a poor lead actor.
3. Friendship with a great man is a gift of the gods.
4. God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best.
5. You have to write as you say.
6. History is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.
7. The best is often the enemy of the good.
8. We should be considerate to the living; to the dead we owe only the truth.
9. Our labor preserves us from three great evils – weariness, vice, and want.
10. The essence of liberty is to depend only on laws.