1. When you have to make a choice and don't make it, that is in itself a choice.
2. Theories are instruments, not answers to enigmas, in which we can rest.
3. The scourge of a liar is not that no one believes him but that he cannot believe anyone himself.
4. The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.
5. Genius… means little more than the faculty of perceiving in an unhabitual way.
6. The community stagnates without the impulse of the individual. The impulse dies away without the sympathy of the community.
7. Acceptance of what has happened is the first step to overcoming the consequences of any misfortune.
8. God may forgive us of our sins, but the nervous system never.
9. Each of us, depending on the circumstances, can be a savage or a saint. Choice is what differentiates a good man from a bad one.
10. The philosopher can only be relied upon in one thing – in his criticism of other philosophers.