1. Wherever we are headed, our reputation – whether good or bad – will always be ahead of us.
2. The best defense against bad manners is good education.
3. Young men are apt to think themselves wise enough, as drunken men are apt to think themselves sober enough.
4. Ridicule is the best test of truth.
5. People won’t argue about tastes – they quarrel, fight and start wars because of them.
6. If you choose to be pleasing, then please everyone in a different manner.
7. Acquired vices are the most abhorrent and unforgiving.
8. Wear your learning, like your watch, in a private pocket: and do not pull it out and strike it; merely to show that you have one.
9. Good manners are the best defense against bad manners others.
10. True wit is a quality so rare that many admire it, most aspire to it, everyone fears it and if anyone appreciates it, they only appreciate it in themselves.