1. If all art aspires to the condition of music, all the sciences aspire to the condition of mathematics.
2. The bible is literature, not dogma.
3. Truth is a jewel which should not be painted over; but it may be set to advantage and shown in a good light.
4. A child educated only at school is an uneducated child.
5. Almost every wise saying has an opposite one, no less wise, to balance it.
6. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
7. Man is a herd animal, even more so in mental than in bodily sense. He can go for a walk alone but he won’t stand loneliness in his opinions.
8. No declaration of independence has yet made anyone truly independent.
9. Life in its flow is a gulf of lost time; nothing can be restored or truly acquired other than in the form of eternity or, which is the same, in the form of art.
10. The loneliest woman in the world is a woman without a close woman friend.