1. Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.
2. Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today among us human creatures.
3. Character is like a tree, and reputation like its shadow. The shadows is what we think of it – the real thing is the tree.
4. Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.
5. When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.
6. Hypocrite: the man who murdered his parents, and then pleaded for mercy on the grounds that he was an orphan.
7. When you have got an elephant by its hind legs and he is trying to run away, it’s best to let him run.
8. Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren’t very new after all.
9. People with no flaws have very few merits.
10. Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds to be.